Its 3 months into 2016 and the year has started quietly for the digital marketers (as compared to the last few years). But there are a few things that have changed like the importance of the content, structured data etc. Traditionally every SEO campaign was based on the quality of the keywords targeted, they were the backbone of every strategy, but as these other factors have grown in importance has the traditional importance of the keyword targeting gone down?
The answer is yes to a certain extent, on the flip side, search engines still work on search phrases and till the time search phrases are alive, keywords will be important. The trick is to change how you find the keywords and what are they targeted towards. In 2016 your keywords have to be targeted towards helping the users and not towards the search engines. And how are the selected keywords included in your site and the content you create.
You need to question yourself whether the content have published and the keywords chosen by you, will help the user? Will it provide any kind of additional value to his/her experience? And the most important one will the user be satisfied? If you can honestly answer these question as positive then you are on the right track, otherwise you need to change your keyword strategy into a better one.
To start with the process, you will need to get a few ideas to get an idea on how to move forward with the proper keyword research: (See Image)
- Branded related Keywords: This box will have the brand name as a keyword. This is a very easy box to manage but these keywords won’t have high impressions.
- Product / Service related Keywords: This box will contain the names and features of your product or your service. The intent of this box is to have all your main services in one place so that you can utilize these words as your keyword base. Keywords derived from this box will have higher number of impression and a decent amount of conversion rate.
- Competitor analysis: Why do the work again if someone else has already done the work for you? Keep an eye on your competitor’s website and note down the keywords that you think will be best suited for your website.
- Secondary Product / service related keywords: This box will contain your products / services that might be helpful for your main product.
- Tertiary Product / service related Keywords: This box will mostly contain the features or the USP’s pf your product.
- Search Engine Autocomplete related Keywords: This box will contain the keyword ideas that pop up when you type your main keywords as a suggestion. You can also find some ideas at the bottom of the search results page.
Once you got the above things complete, you should have six different boxes that are full with ideas that you can use as your base for your ultimate keyword.
Building and Refining your Keyword List:
Using the six different boxes create a list of keywords that you feel your customer may come to associate your brand with in future. You can do this by adding the words in the boxes, to your preferred keyword tool (I’d suggest the Google Adwords Keyword Research Tool). Start to insert words in the tool but make sure that you keep them separate according to the boxes. This will give you a list of keywords that could potentially become your keywords.
Once you have the list ready, consider the tree in the image. The created list should be broken down into 3 categories:
- Primary Keywords: If you see a tree from afar then you will only the leaves, the upper part of tree; so if you think, the leaves and upper part of the tree are the most important part, at the face value. Similarly primary keywords are the keywords that define your webpage perfectly and can be added anywhere in your page and still make sense. These keywords are the first impression of the webpage to the search engines as well as to the users. These keywords can have your main product name, service name, your USP, etc. But remember these keyword should have their own webpage dedicated only to them.
For ex: you have a website that sells apple mobile phones, your primary keywords (bold) will be apple, iphone, Macbook etc
- Secondary Keywords: The trunk of a tree provide the support and the stability needed for the leaves and the upper part to stand proud and deliver, but most of the time the effort of the trunk goes unnoticed. The secondary keywords act in a similar fashion towards the primary keywords and make them more relevant to the page and add more value for the users.
For ex: considering the same example of apple mobile phones, your secondary keywords (Italics) for the same keywords will be, apple mobile phones, Iphone 6s, Apple Macbook Air, as you can see the primary keywords are perfectly capable to describe a whole webpage by themselves, but having that extra words helps so much more to identify and categorize the webpage for the users as well as the search engines.
- Tertiary Keywords: The roots are heart and the soul of the tree without them the tree would wither and die, they provide nourishment and freshness to the tree. Similarly tertiary keywords are the hidden words that provide invaluable insight into Webpage and help the secondary and the primary keywords to shine.
For ex: considering the same example of apple mobile phones, you tertiary keywords (underlined) will be How to update you apple mobile phones, Buy Iphone 6s Charger, How to repair your Apple Macbook Air. As you can see adding the tertiary keywords to the mix gives a whole new invaluable insight into the webpage.
Building and refining your keywords in this style will target the intent and the interest of the users towards your page to the maximum. This in turn will make your website a lot more popular.
Thank you, if you have any suggestions please do say so in comments.